Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Chapter 7: Thinking about Teaching and Learning

One thing in chapter that I picked up on was what teachers think about their methods on teaching certain children. It is important to keep in mind that as a teacher, it's not just about what you teach and expecting all of your students to retain the information. The manner in which the material is taught can make learning the material easier to understand, and remember.
Keeping in mind others' beliefs is an important aspect of teaching, especially in public schools. With so much diversity is today's classrooms, the instructor needs to be careful with what he/she discusses and how they talk about it. Also, as a teacher it is important to be tolerant of the students whom you are teaching.
Probably the most important aspect I got out of the chapter was the importance of stories. The importance of stories and how they can be used to reinforce concepts being taught is powerful. I think that being able to relate material being learned/taught to what is occurring in the classroom can help students grasp concepts they may not have understood otherwise.

No comments: